Bin collection days are changing for more than a dozen suburbs across the ACT to create more efficient garbage collection services.
The ACT Government says the changes will address Canberra’s current and future growth, and improve the coordination of routes for collection vehicles.
The changes will come into effect from Monday, 13 June.
In the Belconnen area:
- Aranda and Scullin will be swapping their recycling and green waste collection weeks,
- Evatt (north of Clancy Street) will be changing its bin collection day to Thursday, and
- Charnwood will have its bin collection services separated across four days.
In central Canberra, Dickson and Downer will swap recycling and green waste collection weeks.
- Forde will move its bin collection day to Friday, and
- Taylor will be swapping its recycling and green waste collection weeks.
In Woden, Weston and Molonglo Valley:
- Curtin and Lyons will be swapping their recycling and green waste collection weeks
- Hughes will have their bin collection day moved to Tuesday, and
- Phillip and Swinger Hill will be changing their bin collection day from Tuesday to Monday.
- Chisholm, Gilmore and Isabella Plains will be swapping their recycling and green waste collection weeks.
- Greenway and Oxley will move their bin collection day to Tuesday.
Charnwood is one of Canberra’s suburbs most affected by these changes, with their collection period spanning four days to cover different zones, including cul-de-sacs. This will allow smaller vehicles to operate in the area, making it safer and more effective than servicing narrow streets with larger vehicles used in other parts of Canberra.
The ACT Government is working with Charnwood residents and will provide stickers to place on their landfill (rubbish) bins. Green waste bins will continue to be collected on Wednesdays.
Charnwood households will receive a letter and map to provide more information and indicate how and when the collection services will operate in various streets.
Additional recycling collection days have also been allocated to some suburbs around the ACT to ensure there aren’t long gaps between collection days.
Residents in suburbs swapping collection weeks for green waste and recycling are asked to put out all three bins on the first week to help adjust to the new changes.
For more information, visit www.act.gov.au/bins.
Original Article published by Evelyn Karatzas on Riotact.