About Gungahlin

My Gungahlin acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of Gungahlin, the Ngunnawal people. We acknowledge and respect their continuing culture and the contribution they make to the life of Gungahlin and this region. We pay our respects to Elders past and present.

The District of Gungahlin is one of the original eighteen districts of the Australian Capital Territory used in land administration. The district is subdivided into 18 suburbs. Gungahlin is an Aboriginal word meaning “little rocky hill”.

Gungahlin was part of the original 1957 plan for future development in the ACT and in 1991 was officially launched as Canberra’s fourth ‘town’ by the ACT Chief Minister. At the time, the population of Gungahlin was just 389 residents. At the 2011 census, the population of the district was 46,971, and this figure is expected to rise to 60,000 by the year 2016; and to grow to 72,900 by 2021.

Gungahlin Suburbs


  • Amaroo
  • Bonner
  • Casey
  • Crace
  • Forde
  • Franklin
  • Gungahlin
  • Hall
  • Harrison
  • Jacka
  • Kenny
  • Mitchell
  • Moncrieff
  • Ngunnawal
  • Nicholls
  • Palmerston
  • Taylor
  • Throsby

Population Data

The following is some quick statistics from the 2016 Census.




MALES 49.5%


FEMALE 50.5%




Private Dwellings


Average people per household


Median Weekly Household Income


Median Monthly Mortgage Payments


Median Weekly Rent


Average Motor Vehicles Per Household
  • Children aged 0-14 made up 24.2% of the population, people aged over 65 made up 4.95% of the population.
  • Of people over 15 years of age 55.2% were married and 6.3% were divorced or separated.
  • 62.2% people in Gungahlin were born in Australia. 39.8% of people both parents were born in Australia, 43.9% both parents were born overseas.
  • 21.9% reported their religion as Catholic, 32.1% reported as no religion.
  • English was reported as the only language spoken at home in 62.4% of homes, 35.6% reported two or more languages were spoken at home.

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I check on any electricity outages in my suburb?

Unplanned electricity outages can happen suddenly and without warning. If you experience an electrical emergency or fault you should report it on 13 10 93. Current unplanned and planned outages can be seen here: Evoenergy Emergencies Faults and Outages. The best thing to do in these situations is be patient as unplanned outages may take a few hours to fix, however, there are still things you can do to help.

If you see damaged Evoenergy electricity infrastructure, please report it by calling 13 10 93. Damaged infrastructure includes powerlines and poles, substations, or trees that have fallen on them. Pinpointing exactly where the fault is lets us repair it sooner and restore your electricity. It’s also important to report any electricity supply interruptions like flickering lights or ‘brown outs’.

How can I check on any gas outages in my suburb?

Gas outages can be seen here: Jemena Gas Outages. Please note that there may be a slight delay in displaying this information on the website.

If you see damaged Evoenergy gas infrastructure, please report it by calling 13 19 09. Damaged infrastructure includes gas meters and gas pipelines. Pinpointing exactly where the fault is lets us repair it sooner and restore your gas.

How can I check on any water/sewerage outages in my suburb?

Water and sewerage supply outages or discolouration issues can be checked with Icon Water Emergencies, faults and outages.

An outage is a temporary disruption to your water supply. These may occur for a range of reasons including necessary maintenance to the networks, construction work or damage to the infrastructure.

For urgent enquiries about outages or to provide information that may assist our staff to restore water and sewerage services, please contact Icon Water Faults and Emergencies on 02 6248 3111 and select option 1.

How can I check on Internet outages in my suburb?

To check on any Internet outages you must check your Internet Service Providers outages page.

How can I keep informed with what is happening in Gungahlin?

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and sign up to our newsletter.

How do I report a lost or found pet?

We recommend you report to Canberra Lost Pet Database on Facebook. Report to Transport Canberra and City Services here for Lost Dogs and here for Lost Cats. Report to RSPCA ACT here RSPCA ACT Lost and Found. When you have found a lost pet take them to your nearest vet during their trading hours. Vets will be able to scan for a microchip to contact the owner.

How do I report an issue or fault to Government?

Issues with roads, infrastructure, playgrounds, streetlights must be reported to ACT Government via Fix My Street.

How can I contact My Gungahlin?

Please see the Contact page or you can message us via Facebook messenger.

Where can I find out more information about My Gungahlin?

Please see the About Us page.

Weekly Wrap

Do you want to keep up with what’s happening in Gungahlin? Every week we package up the best stories in a free newsletter, delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up now and find out what everyone else is talking about.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.