18 May 2022

Cats rescued from house fire in Moncrieff

| Claire Fenwicke
Start the conversation

Firefighters managed to rescue two cats after the home’s stove caught fire (not pictured). Photo: ACT Fire and Rescue Facebook.

Two cats have been rescued after their two-storey townhouse caught fire in Moncrieff.

Emergency services were called to the scene just after 1 pm today and extinguished a fire that started on a stovetop.

Firefighters equipped with breathing gear managed to rescue the two cats, with the owners already outside. No injuries were reported.

As of 2 pm Bernard Heinze Avenue was closed eastbound, between the roundabout at O’Keefe Avenue and Gussey Street.

Hazardous materials crews will complete atmospheric monitoring before the scene is declared safe.

ACT Policing and ACT Ambulance Service were also in attendance.

Two cats were rescued from a house fire on Gussey Street in Moncrieff. Photo: ACT ESA Incidents Map.

Start the conversation

Weekly Wrap

Do you want to keep up with what’s happening in Gungahlin? Every week we package up the best stories in a free newsletter, delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up now and find out what everyone else is talking about.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.