19 June 2020

Smoke alarm saves life at Ngunnawal

| My Gungahlin
Start the conversation

ACT Fire & Rescue has issued a reminder today about the importance of having working smoke alarms after a fire in Ngunnawal.

Fire crews responded to an emergency triple zero (000) just after 2 o’clock this morning in Carina Street.

Fire-fighters arrived to find fire in a bedroom of the property and a smoke alarm sounding off.

The sole occupant, an elderly lady, had safely evacuated from the property.

They quickly extinguished the fire containing it to the room.

The initial damage bill has been estimated at $5000.

ACT Fire & Rescue have confirmed the fire was started by an unattended cigarette.

Courtesy of ESA.

Start the conversation

Weekly Wrap

Do you want to keep up with what’s happening in Gungahlin? Every week we package up the best stories in a free newsletter, delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up now and find out what everyone else is talking about.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.