ACT residents are being asked to be aware of road closures and possible delays around Exhibition Park in Canberra (EPIC) between Thursday 7 January and Sunday 10 January 2016 to allow for Summernats 29.
Arrangements will include:
- Speed limit reduction to 40km/h on Flemington Road between Sandford Street and Northbourne Avenue. Delays are to be expected. Travellers are advised to use Gungahlin Drive for travel to and from Gungahlin. Alternative routes will be signposted.
- Additional parking will be available north of Exhibition Park in Canberra, with access via Sandford Street or Old Well Station Road.
- Delays are expected on Northbourne Avenue near Exhibition Park in Canberra so motorists are encouraged to use Antill Street and Wakefield Avenue as alternative routes.
- Stirling Avenue will be closed between Northbourne Avenue and Aspinall Street in Watson.
- Phillip Avenue and Swinden Street will remain open to traffic at all times.
- An ‘Alcohol Free Zone’ will be created along Aspinall Street, Morisset Road, Stirling Avenue, Northbourne Avenue, Lonsdale Street and the Federal Highway within the ACT in both directions. Short sections of Old Well Station Road, Flemington Road and Phillip Avenue have also been nominated as ‘Alcohol Free Zones’. The parking area north of EPIC and the parking are at the corner of Randwick Road and Flemington Road will also be ‘Alcohol Free
- No Parking’ and ‘No Camping’ signs will be erected on both sides of Northbourne Avenue.
As in previous years, Territory and Municipal Services has developed the traffic arrangements in conjunction with the Australian Federal Police, management of Exhibition Park, Summernats event management, and residents’ representatives from Watson and Downer.
Parking officers will be active in the area during Summernats and drivers are reminded to park legally. Illegal parking and verge parking will be enforced by parking inspectors, with particular focus on pedestrian and vehicle line of site safety issues.
For up-to-date information on road closures please call Access Canberra on 13 22 81.
For more information on road closures please visit www.tams.act.gov.au