The revolution of Gungahlin’s town centre continues to move forward with stage one of light rail, a new bus station, transformation of Hibberson Street and the duplication of key roads, all taking shape.
The final product will make Gungahlin the ACT’s most accessible town centre and will encourage more people to work, live and socialise in Canberra’s fastest growing region.
Plans were today released which specifically detail the future of Hibberson Street as a 20 km/hr one-way shared zone between Gozzard Street and Gungahlin Place. This section of Hibberson St will become a vibrant people-friendly zone that will further transform the Gungahlin town centre.
Hibberson St will be able to be closed for weekends and special events, and the one-way shared zone concept strikes a good balance between all users of the Town Centre.
Hibberson Street is the latest piece of work being undertaken in Gungahlin to future proof one of Canberra’s biggest community hubs from traffic and pedestrian safety issues.
“The work being done here in Gungahlin’s town centre will result in vibrant community hub which people can access quickly and safely from any other part of Canberra,” Minister for Transport and City Services, Meegan Fitzharris said.
“There is a huge amount of change going on in Gungahlin, so the map we are releasing today will help the community keep track of where work is up to and where we are heading over the next 12 months.
“As a local I am well aware of the complications these works can make to travel plans and appreciate everyone’s patience while we deliver a series of really exciting projects for the people of Gungahlin.”
Over the next 12 months Gungahlin’s town centre and road network will be transformed by:
- Gundaroo Drive duplication, currently underway with Stage 1 completed by mid 2018 and Stage 2 by early 2020.
- An extension of Ernest Cavanagh Street, scheduled to start in the coming months and finish early 2018.
- Gungahlin Bus Station, with construction to start in August and finish early 2018.
- Light Rail stage 1 – the project is now well underway and set to finish late 2018.
- Hibberson Street shared zone will see work start early 2018 and finish by June.
- Horse Park Drive duplication is also well underway, with the project scheduled to finish mid 2019.
- A new road to the south of The Valley Avenue will be constructed, with work scheduled to start in September and end early 2018.
The Gungahlin Town Centre Planning refresh also clearly showed people’s interest in making Gungahlin Town Centre an accessible, pedestrian friendly area and the Government will be updating the community on the refresh in the coming months.
“By this time next year we will also be preparing to see Canberra’s first light rail stock leaving the depot at Mitchell, a landmark, life changing occasion for anyone who works or lives in Gungahlin’s town centre,” Minister Fitzharris said.
“Once again I would like to thank the people of Gungahlin for their patience while we build a better town centre which will continue to service the region’s growing population for many years to come.”
To view a detailed map of all the road and transport infrastructure projects currently underway in Gungahlin visit www.tccs.act.gov.au.