New generation of play spaces show kids are just naturals at it
Community
A quiet revolution is taking place across Canberra's suburbs as the way children play, learn and interact with nature changes, or perhaps reverts to previous less complicated times. ACT families have embraced the nature play movement, in which the traditional slide and swingset playground makes way for a natural setting that makes use of trees, rocks, logs, ropes, sand and...
Yerrabi MLA argues for self reliance and future opportunities post COVID-19
Community
Times of crisis have historically presented opportunities for significant social and economic reform. The time of this coronavirus pandemic is no different. The COVID-19 crisis has made governments around the world dramatically change their policies. In Australia, it has reminded us just how dependent we have become on other countries. Gone are the days when globalisation was the watchword -...
Getting gas ready for winter for safety and efficiency
Community
The winter solstice has passed, marking the official start to winter, and as the temperature drops and 70,000 Canberra households fire up their gas heaters, Evoenergy is reminding Canberrans that now is the time to have their gas appliances checked. Gas heaters unused for six months of the year can build up dust, debris and even insects’ nests so it’s...
Feels like community spirit in Gungahlin, shining through in hard times
Community
The extraordinarily difficult summer, marked by bushfires and smoke, was followed by our current public health emergency and economic crisis. Our community has been through a lot. We’ve all seen the significant impact that this is having across Canberra – for thousands of Canberrans who face unemployment, for business owners struggling to support their staff, grassroots sport struggling to keep...
Running 145kms around Canberra on the Centenary Trail – Stage 7
Community
Last week I shared with you Running 145kms around Canberra on the Centenary Trail - Stage 6 where my journey started at North Watson and takes me to Mulligans Flat car park in Bonner. This week I bring you the final stage of 7 where my journey picks up at Mulligans Flat car park in Bonner and takes me back...
Running 145kms around Canberra on the Centenary Trail – Stage 6
Community
Last week I shared with you Running 145kms around Canberra on the Centenary Trail - Stage 5 where my journey started at Parliament House and takes me to North Watson. This week I bring you stage 6 of 7 where my journey picks up at North Watson and takes me to Mulligans Flat car park in Bonner. I am undertaking...
Running 145kms around Canberra on the Centenary Trail – Stage 5
Community
Last week I shared with you Running 145kms around Canberra on the Centenary Trail - Stage 4 where my journey started at Tuggeranong and took me to Parliament House. This week I bring you stage 5 of 7 where my journey picks up at Parliament House and takes me to North Watson. I am undertaking this challenge as part of...
Running 145kms around Canberra on the Centenary Trail – Stage 4
Community
Last week I shared with you Running 145kms around Canberra on the Centenary Trail - Stage 3 where my journey started at Stromlo Forest Park and took me to Tuggeranong. This week I bring you stage 4 of 7 where my journey picks up at Tuggeranong and takes me to Parliament House. I am undertaking this challenge as part of...
Running 145kms around Canberra on the Centenary Trail – Stage 3
Community
Last week I shared with you Running 145kms around Canberra on the Centenary Trail - Stage 2 where my journey started in Black Mountain Tower and took me to Stromlo Forest Park. This week I bring you stage 3 of 7 where my journey picks up Stromlo Forrest Park and takes me to Tuggeranong. Stage 3 of this journey was...
Running Berlin Marathon 2020 for Pancreatic Cancer UK – update
Community
In March this year it was announced that Mark from My Gungahlin would be Running Berlin Marathon 2020 for Pancreatic Cancer UK in honour of his step-father who passed away last year from pancreatic cancer and fundraise in his memory. As the first anniversary of his step-fathers passing quickly approaches, this week the Berlin Senate on April 21, 2020 announced...
Art in Place – Gungahlin Arts
Community
Art in Place is a program offered by Belco Arts which offers artists the opportunity to create new work in any artistic medium for presentation within the Gungahlin area. The opportunity is open to artists who live or work in the Gungahlin region, or who can demonstrate a strong connection to the area. We invite you to use this quiet...
Postcards from Gungahlin – Gungahlin Arts
Community
As we find ourselves spending more time at home, Gungahlin Arts invites you take this opportunity for quiet time as a chance to connect with and reflect on the place that you live, and what makes it special to you. Whether you love it or hate it, we want you to capture what it is that makes your suburb unique....
ANZAC Day 2020
Community
ANZAC Day 2020 is going to be very different for all of us but here is some ideas to help you commemorate this special day. With thanks to local artist, Kylie Fogarty we have a poppy colouring in page to decorate windows and a stencil which can be used to use chalk to decorate your driveway as a field of...
Running 145kms around Canberra on the Centenary Trail – Stage 2
Community
Last week I shared with you Running 145kms around Canberra on the Centenary Trail - Stage 1 where my journey started in Hall and took me to Black Mountain Tower. This week I bring you stage 2 where my journey picks up from Black Mountain Tower and takes me to Stromlo Forrest Park. Again after a bit of breakfast and...
Running 145kms around Canberra on the Centenary Trail – Stage 1
Community
Last week I shared with you all in my blog article, Running 145kms around Canberra on the Centenary Trail which is a challenge I have set myself to complete over seven stages. If you missed this article it contains the back story of why I am doing this challenge. The Centenary Trail is a self-guided trail for walkers and mountain...
Running 145kms around Canberra on the Centenary Trail
Community
This year I am taking part in the BMW Berlin Marathon as a charity runner for Pancreatic Cancer UK. Last year my stepfather, John passed away from pancreatic cancer after being diagnosed in July 2018. Not many people survive this long after being diagnosed so we were fortunate to have had nine months with him. Over the last couple of...