Night maintenance works on light rail network – Buses to replace some services
17 Jan, 2020
Canberra Metro will commence night works along sections of the light rail track for two weeks from Monday 20 January until Friday 31 January 2020. These maintenance works will involve grinding and welding activity to help ensure light rail continues to perform well.
Customers using light rail will not be affected for the first week, with works scheduled to commence nightly following the last evening service.
Changes to services for customers on the light rail network will commence Sunday 26 January 2020 for five consecutive evenings, to Thursday 30 January 2020. During this final week of works, Transport Canberra bus services will replace evening light rail services between Dickson and Gungahlin.
Timing and location of main works
Week one: Monday 20 January 2020 – 6 am, Friday 24 January 2020
- Weather permitting, these night works will commence on Monday 20 January from 12.30 am.
- No changes to light rail services and no impact expected for light rail customers.
- Works will be localised near Exhibition Park in Canberra, Mitchell and also between Manning Clark Crescent and Kate Crace Street, Gungahlin.
Week two: Sunday 26 January 2020 – 6 am, Friday 31 January 2020
- Weather permitting, these night works will commence from Sunday 26 January 2020, from 8 pm.
- Works will continue throughout the evening and into the early morning.
- Night works are expected to be completed by 6 am, Friday 31 January 2020.
- Night maintenance works will be along sections of the light rail track. The main works will be at two locations on Flemington Road - near Exhibition Park in Canberra, Mitchell and also between Manning Clark Crescent and Kate Crace Street, Gungahlin.
Effects on public transport users
- Light rail services will operate as per normal at the start of each day commencing from 6 am.
- From 8pm, each evening from Sunday 26 January to Thursday 30 January 2020, Transport Canberra bus services will replace light rail services (in both directions) from Dickson interchange to Gungahlin Place.
- Customers should use bus stops located near each light rail stop on Northbourne Avenue and Flemington Road.
- Bus service replacement vehicles will operate to the 15 minute light rail frequency.
- Customers will not be required to tap on and off when entering and exiting these bus services.
- All northbound light rail services leaving the City at Alinga Street after the 7.30 pm service will terminate at Dickson Interchange. Passengers continuing their journey from Dickson will be required to catch a bus.
- All southbound light rail services leaving Gungahlin Place after the 7.45 pm service will be replaced by buses, terminating at Dickson Interchange. Passengers continuing their journey from Dickson will be required to catch light rail.
- Light rail services will operate as normal between Dickson Interchange and Alinga Street, City.
Effects on traffic, pedestrians and cyclists
- No detours to motorists will be required.
- The speed limit on Flemington Road will be reduced to 40 km/h near the two work sites.
- The bicycle lane on Flemington Road will be closed during the evening works. Cyclists will be required to use the footpath.
- The pedestrian crossing on Flemington Road between Manning Clark Crescent and Kate Crace Street, Gungahlin will be closed during the night works.
- Traffic control operators will be on site to ensure the safety of all road users.
- Signage will be in place to alert people to the night works.
These night works will maintain the infrastructure at its highest standard, ensure light rail continues to operate at peak performance and make a smoother ride for customers.
Some construction noise is expected. Canberra Metro has strategies in place to minimise impacts where possible. The project team will also ensure the number of machines operating at the same time is limited and equipment is turned off when not in use.
Canberra Metro has distributed a notice to nearby residents and appreciate the patience of the public and the support of the community whilst undertaking these works.
For more information visit www.transport.act.gov.au or call Access Canberra on 13 22 81.
Summernats road closure notice